Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Weaver's Shuttle



As I write this it is July 19. This particular day has special meaning to me, and more so my older brother. Five years ago my older brother had his wedding ceremony in our hometown. It was a Saturday. We had our tea ceremony and then after was the lunch and then the dinner banquet. In these times when I struggle to think of happy moments, I remember my brother's wedding. That was for me a happy day. My sister-in-law is a wonderful Godly influence and I have always wanted a sister. I can't believe that it has now been five years. I can remember that day like it was yesterday. This chapter talks about how time flies.
"Centuries ago a Roman poet penned two famous words: "Time flies." But a person doesn't have to be a poet or a philosopher to know that time is always passing.
other poet has said, "Time goes you say? Ah, no--time stays, we go!" And perhaps he is right. The Bible has much to say about time and the fact that time is simply passing. Let's look at Job 7:6: "My days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle, and are spent without hope." (p. 99).
Time is passing. Whether we want it or not, time goes by really fast. I have been home now for almost three months. Weeks go by really fast now even though the day itself is long because of my physical condition. I had so many hopes when I graduated, but right now, all of them seem very impossible. I just entered into my 30s and it was like my 20s ended so quickly. I often think how the 20s was my favorite years, and everything is so far from when I was in my 20s. The human has a couple of responses in regards to time says the author. First, we can focus on the past and the good old days. That is what I am doing when I think about my 20s. I really enjoyed my 20s and had many great memories. I can focus on that and miss what God is doing now. The other wrong ways is to escape. Just go on a retreat and ignore the present circumstance. Alcohol, drugs, and other addictions are ways to escape the present hardships. The author says the Christian should do neither response.
"No, the Christian has to live a life in the context of a real world; and he must trust Christ to give him the peace and strength he needs day by day God isn't affected by time and change; He is the great I Am. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever: God's word is forever settled in heaven. Heaven and earth may pass away, but His Word will never pass away.
So if life is moving too fast for you, don't fight it and don't give in to it. Instead, surrender to Christ and let time work for you and not against you.
"My days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle." Job was going through some rough times when he made that statement, so it is no wonder he added, "and they are spent without hope." Job's situation did look pretty hopeless. He had lost his wealth and his family in a series of tragic events. Then he lost his health. Everything around him was falling apart, and he could see no light in the darkness. When he tried to reach God, it seemed that even God was far away.
When I am ill or when I am going through difficulties, time seems to stand still. I can recall times when I was recuperating in the hospital when the days just trudged along like tired turtles, and I wanted them to speed along like locomotives. Job was a sick man, and his situation was difficult, he complained that his days were moving too fast for him. In fact, that whole seventh chapter of the Book of Job deals with the swiftness of human life. Job compares his life to a wind and a cloud that are here one minute and gone the next. In the next two chapters he pictures his life as a shadow, or a ship that appears and then is gone. It is a flower that blooms and fades." (p. 100-101).
God is not moved by our present circumstance. He is the great I am. That was who God revealed Himself to Moses before He sent him to deliver the nation of Israel out of Egypt and slavery. That is who God is today when we need our own deliverance. The Christian can face the present difficulties with confidence in who God is. Yet Job and the author here can remember times of physical discomfort and how God seem to be so far off. Right now, I am in that state. God seems so far from my present circumstance. God seems to have put me on mute in my prayers. So it was with Job and what a person to study and think about as I approach this topic of finding God in the tough times. My life seems to be falling apart and I can see no light in the darkness like Job. The challenge is that time seems to stand still when I wake up at 2:00 in the morning and can't sleep or have pain. This morning I woke up around 2:00 and could not sleep for a long time and woke up around 4:30. It was two nights ago when I woke up also around 2:00 in the morning to pain, heat, and inflammation. This was the first time waking up in the middle of the night to these symptoms. Both times waking up in the middle of the night, I felt so discouraged, and so depressed. These times are marked by the absence of hope. This has been my first week really struggling with sleep, getting between three and five hours of sleep and waking up around 2:00. I feel so tired, so drained, and extremely discouraged. Time stands still when we are in the present moment of hardship. But at the same time, time goes by so quickly. It is already Thursday and Monday seem to be like yesterday. And, Thursday is soon gone. Yes, for Job, and for me, God seems so far and there appears to be no light in the darkness. There is some encouragement for us from the example of Job.
"But perhaps Job saw some good in the swiftness of life. First, since life is moving rapidly, our circumstances will change. We don't know how many days are involved in the story of Job, but we do know that one day God appeared on the scene, and Job ended up in better condition than when he started.
Second, since our lives are like a weaver's shuttle, there is a pattern and a purpose involved. God controls the shuttle and God has a pattern for our lives. This ought to encourage us no matter how difficult the days may be. As long as God is on the throne, there is hope!
Did you ever look on the wrong side of the loom? There is really nothing beautiful about it. After the work is completed, the weaver takes the work off the loom and cuts off the extra threads and puts the finishing touches on the blanket or sweater or whatever he was weaving.
You and I are still on the loom. God isn't finished with us yet. As you and I look at the process, we see the shuttle running swiftly through the web, and we see some kind of a pattern developing; but only the weaver can see the finished product. Never judge the weaver by an unfinished product. Don't get angry at God because you don't agree with His choice of colors or patterns. You and I cannot see the total picture; only God can see that. And don't get disgusted with life because the pattern isn't what you want. The weaver knows best. Some people try to improve the pattern, and they end up making it ugly instead of beautiful.
And never judge another person's life or give up on him. You may be a parent, discouraged over your wayward children; or perhaps you are a pastor or missionary who is weeping over people who are rebelling against God. Let the divine Weaver handle the situation. What looks to us today as a marred product can, in Christ's hands, become a beautiful weaving. He can untangle the threads; He can untie the knots; and He can weave life together so that the finished product brings honor to His name. Just keep praying and trusting, and let the Weaver do the rest." (p. 101-102).
Just keep praying and trusting and God will do the rest. Simple words. It is sometimes so hard to trust when we don't see what God is doing. Yet the two points here are powerful and this chapter has ministered to me more than the previous hundred pages. The point that really encourages me is the one about how because time is moving so fast, our circumstances will change. God eventually showed up and Job's life turned around for the better. Right now, I can't see it. I pray for it, I desire for my circumstance to turn around, but right now, it is out of reach. Also, God has a plan and purpose for the events in our lives. This too, I cannot see. I sometimes question God on what He is doing especially when it involves that which is very difficult. Nevertheless, Job's story provides much encouragement that God is still here, and hope is on the way. I really pray that God shows up soon and His hope can bring me through.
"Yes, life is swifter than a weaver's shuttle; but I'm not afraid. The Weaver has everything under control and He is weaving our lives according to His perfect plan. Sometimes we get discouraged because all we can see is the wrong side of the weaving. But God sees both sides, and He is working all things together for your good and His glory. When time finally ends and the shuttle is at rest, when the Weaver takes the weaving off the loom, then you and I will understand just why He wove the design as He did. And when we understand, we will fall down and praise Him for His wisdom and goodness." (p. 102-103).
About a week ago I received an ODB devotional that really encouraged me about doubt and discouragement. I am reminded that is normal and encouraged for us to bring our doubts and discouragements to Jesus.

It’s Okay To Ask July 10, 2012


READ: Luke 7:18-28

Go and tell John the things you have seen and heard: that the blind see, the lame walk, . . . the poor have the gospel preached to them. —Luke 7:22
It’s perfectly natural for fear and doubt to creep into our minds at times. “What if heaven isn’t real after all?” “Is Jesus the only way to God?” “Will it matter in the end how I lived my life?” Questions like these should not be given quick or trite responses.
John the Baptist, whom Jesus called the greatest of the prophets (Luke 7:28), had questions shortly before his execution (v.19). He wanted to know for sure that Jesus was the Messiah and that his own ministry had therefore been valid.
Jesus’ response is a comforting model for us to use. Instead of discounting the doubt or criticizing John, Jesus pointed to the miracles He was doing. As eyewitnesses, John’s disciples could return with vivid assurances for their mentor. But He did more—He used words and phrases (v.22) drawn from Isaiah’s prophecies of the coming Messiah (Isa. 35:4-6; 61:1), which were certain to be familiar to John.
Then, turning to the crowd, Jesus praised John (Luke 7:24-28), removing any doubt that He was offended by John’s need for reassurance after all he had seen (Matt. 3:13-17).
Questioning and doubting, both understandable human responses, are opportunities to remind, reassure, and comfort those who are shaken by uncertainty. —Randy Kilgore
When my poor soul in doubt is cast
And darkness hides the Savior’s face,
His love and truth still hold me fast
For He will keep me by His grace. —D. De Haan
Reassurance comes as we doubt our doubts and believe our beliefs.
Prayer:
Father, this has been a very difficult journey. I have so many doubts and discouragements. Thank You for Your Word and for Christian authors who remind us of Your goodness and truth. Thank You for the examples of John the Baptist and Job who themselves had doubts and discouragements. We learn that we can give You our concerns and worries. We learn that hope is there even when we do not see it and You are doing something wonderful behind the scenes. Dear Father, help me to know and feel that You are near, in control of my situation, and that You care.

No comments:

Post a Comment