Monday, July 30, 2012

Contentment Where ?



This is now the final chapter and the end of this book. Interesting that this final chapter is on the subject of contentment. I am a little conflicted about this chapter. He ends on this note that marks his entire book and Theology. This is what I have issue with in this book and more specifically conservative Theology. This author does not appear to ask God for the impossible, to dream and pray big. In that way, this author does not inspire or provide much encouragement. As I reflect over these thirty chapters, I really did not feel that encouraged while reading this book. I do like how he remains true to the Bible and uses many Biblical examples, but he does not provide much from his own life or modern times. Overall, this book has not really encouraged me during my difficult journey. For some reason, I felt far more optomistic after reading the previous book. If I would rate the book in different areas it would be:
Biblical:10/10
Readable: 9/10
Inspirational: 5/10
Practical: 7/10
Grade: 62%
With that said, contentment is something I do need to think about right now and for this the author turns to Paul:

"Do your circumstances bother you? Are you at that place in life where you wish nothing would change, and yet evewthing is changing? Are you having to adjust to new surroundings or new people? Then Paul has a good word for you "For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content" (Phil. 4:11).
It is a great mistake to build your happiness on circumstances or things, because circumstances change and things have a way of wearing out and losing their value. True internal peace cannot be based on changing external things. We need something deeper and more satising.
Yet most people build their happiness on the passing, external things of this world. And, for this reason, they are never really happy.." (p. 151).
It is true our contentment must not be based on temporal things. Our jobs, our lives, the lives of others change. I was so happy when all my Davis friends were around and now so many are scattered. The face of small group has completely changed. So many things change. Change happens. So what does Paul teach us about contentment?
"The word content does not mean "complacent." Paul was anything but complacent! He felt the burden of lost souls and carried the gospel to city after city regardless of peril or persecution. Nor is contentment a dreamy attitude or vague feelings that lift you out of the world and make you immune to trouble and trial. Some people are always looking for new ways to be immunized against the hurts of life or protected from the bumps and scars of life. This is not contentment.
Actually, the word Paul used is best translated "contained." It carries the idea of self-sufficiency. In other words, Paul is saying, "I don't depend on things on the outside, because I carry my own sufficiencv on the inside." This inner sufficiency, of course, is the power of Jesus Christ in Paul's life, for he goes on to say, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."
Contentment, then, is actually containment --having the spiritual resources within to face life courageously and handle it successfully. Contentment is divine adequacy. Contentment is having that spiritual artesian well within so that you don't have to run to the broken cisterns of the world to get what you need. The power of Christ in the inner man is all we need for the demands of life. Resources on the outside, such as friends and counselors and encouragements, are only helpful as they strengthen our resources on the inside." (p. 152)
There is a right way and wrong way to deal with life's difficulties. The author is not telling us to be passive or to look to something that numbs the pain. Both ways are wrong. People turn to drugs, to sexual encounters, and to alcohol to escape life's problems. Some also turn to junk food and sugars. When I was an undergrad and felt depressed, I would go to the nearby Starbucks. This soon became a problem when once I drank a coffee drink and began feeling lightheaded. No, these are not lasting ways to solve life's problems. I like how contentment is found inside. It is the inner sufficiency and spiritual resources to deal with life's difficulties.
"Whether Paul was in prison or in a palace, whether he was with frierds or with enemies, he had an inner sufficiency from Christ that carried him through.
How does this inner contentment reveal itself? To begin with, we have a peace that keeps us from falling apart and doing impulsive things. We have a patience that sustains us when all around us seems to be disintegrating. There is an inner peace and poise that makes us master of the situation--victors, not victims. We are able to look the situation right in the eye, face it honestl>; and deal with it intelligently and courageously.
Read Acts 27 and see Paul's sufficiency ota board ship in the midst of the storm. Paul went on that ship as a prisoner, but before long, he was the master of the ship! When others had given up, Paul announced that God would spare their lives. He could say, "Wherefore, sirs, be of good cheer: for I believe God .... "Paul had learned by experience how to be adequate through Christ for any situation of life.
This secret is not for apostles only; it is for any Christian who will learn it. Listen again to Paul's inspired testimony: "I have learned the secret of being content, no matter what situation I arn in .... I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (p. 155)

Prayer:
Father, I've come now to the last paragraph and last chapter. I was initially put off by the title of this chapter. Yet I have come to understand contentment does not mean passivity. It is the sustaining resources of the Spirit. Father, I need this peace in the midst of my challenges. I don't feel like a victor, but a victim and a defeated man. Help me to see Your sovereignty and goodness in the midst of my hardship and to trust that You are still Lord and God. Protect me from the negative thoughts and harmful options that we are prone to when going through tough moments. Provide me with the wisdom and leading to make right choices concerning my well-being..

No comments:

Post a Comment