Friday, July 27, 2012

Divine Resources for Life's Difficulties





In response to yesterday's comment, I think both getting older as well as spiritual maturity helps in being more easy going. There can certainly be old age without spiritual maturity. We were at a grand opening of a restaurant this week and the owner's face showed the disappointment in the turnout. He did not smile once. The thing is, the turnout was not bad, about 20-something tables, but the place was only half full and waiters out-numbered customers. I think part of spiritual maturity is being thankful for what we do have. I am learning right now to thank God for the seemingly small things like sleep because all this week I've gotten so little of it. And yes, Mike it'd be nice to go visit some of those Canto places. Food, accompanied with friends, at least for me brings much happiness.
As I write this, I realize I am almost to the end of this book. There are four more remaining chapters. This book has taken about two months to go through. Although the author sticks close to the Bible and points people to Jesus, it for some reason has not been as encouraging as I had hoped. I can remember maybe a hand full of chapters out of the twenty six previous ones that have really spoken to me. These chapters are relevant including this one.
"On October 31, 1517, Dr. Martin Luther nailed his ninetv-five theses on the door of the church at Wittenberg, Germany. The result was what historians call the Reformation, an attempt to bring the truth of salvation by faith back to the hearts of the people. Out of the Reformation came a return, not only to biblical doctrine, but also to the singing of hymns in the churches. Martin Luther was an accomplished musician himself, and he used music to express his faith and teach his people. "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God" is the one song more than any other that we associate with this great man and his work. Based on Psalm 46, this song has for centuries moved Christians to trust God no matter how difficult their circumstances might be." (p. 137)
I have only sung this maybe once or twice in the twenty something years I have been in church. I have not heard it in a Chinese church but have heard it in a white church. I am not sure the exact lyrics without looking it up but the title speaks of a sovereign and powerful God.
The author talks about three divine resources from Psalm 46. The first is that God is our refuge:

"In Psalm 46, we find three divine resources to sustain us in the difficulties of life. To begin with, we need not fear because we have a refuge. "God is our refuge and strength, are present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear...." No matter what may happen to us, we can find refuge in the Lord. The psalmist also wrote, "Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea." The psalmist is saying, "Even if an earthquake occurs, I don't have to be afraid because God is my refuge and my strength." You see, my friend, nothing moves or changes God. God is not affected by the convulsions of society or the confusion of government. He is the rock-- He stands secure--He will not be moved. When you and I run to Him for refuge, He is there to protect us.
But note that God is both our refuge and strength. We don't run to Him to hide; we run to Him for help. He hides us that He might help us, and then He thrusts us back into the battle that we might accomplish His will in this world. God does not hide us to pamper us, but to prepare us. He strengthens us that He might use uS." (p. 138)
It is one thing to be a refuge. A brick wall is a refuge. A house can be a refuge. But, when something is both refuge and strength it is able to offer so much more. It has both defensive and offensive power. The comment about how God does not pamper us is an interesting one. When we fail, God restores us and brings us back into the world. I think of Peter and his fishing attempts that caught nothing and his feelings of failure. At the end of the Gospel of John, Jesus restores him.
The second is a river.

"Psalm 46 is not talking about a literal river, rather about the supply of spiritual power available from the Lord for His people. In the Bible, water for drinking is a picture of the Holy Spirit. In John 7:37-39, Jesus compares the Spirit of God to a river of living water. "If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink .... Out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (But this spake he of the Spirit .... )"
No matter how difficult the problems of life may be, we need not fear because we have a refuge, and we need not faint because we have a river. God supplies us with the spiritual power we need to keep going in spite of the difficulties. "Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the Lord of hosts." "But ye shall receive power when the Holy Spirit is come upon you .... " Of ourselves, we do not have the strength we need to keep going; but through the Holy Spirit, we can overcome. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Have you trusted Christ as your Savior? If you have, are you trusting Him for the power you need moment by moment and day by day? "As thv days, so shall thy strength be." (p. 139)
Strength, these days is something I have very little of, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Some days I am not even sure how I am going to make it. There were days like that this week. In particular Tuesday and Thursday, I went to bed feeling completely drained. Yet, somehow in the midst of all that, God sustained me. When we are weak, God gives us enough strength to make it through.

"There is a third divine resource given to us in Psalm 46. We need not fret, for we have a revelation: "Be still, and know that I am God .... The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is out" refuge." What a wonderful revelation--"Be still, and know that I am God."
The trouble with many of us is that we think we are God. We make our plans and pull strings and try to manipulate people and situations, only to discover that evewthing falls apart. "Be still, and know..." Know what? "That I am God." I Am is one of the great names of God. When Moses told God that it was impossible for him to obey God and lead Israel out of Egypt, God said to Moses, "Remember my name--I Am." Not "I would like to be" or "I hope to be," but I Am! I am God! And Moses went out in the power of God's name and defeated the enemy and set his people free.
Jesus picked up that same divine name when He was here on earth. "I am the bread of life .... I at the good shepherd .... 1 atn the light of the world." Whatever you need, says Jesus, I Am. Man's name is I Am Not; we just don't have what it takes to make it alone. But God's name is I Am, and His mighty resources are available to us.
When I was in seminary, my Hebrew professor told us that the words "Be still" literally mean "Take your hands off! .... Take your hands off and know that I am God." You could even translate it "Relax and know that I am God." In other words, "Get your hands off the situation--stop playing God--and permit me to take over." Sometimes God has to wait for us to make a real mess of things before we give up and let Him take over. Don't wait that long; take your hands off now and let God have His way.
Here, then, are three wonderful divine resources for you to draw upon in the difficult times of life. We need not fear; we have a rege. We need not faint; we have a river. And we need not fret; we have a revelation: "Be still, and know that I am God." A mighty fortress is our God--a bulwark never failing!" (pp. 139-140).
Prayer:
Father, I begin with the confession, I am not. I am not God. I am not strong. I confess that you are God and that You are the great I am. Sorry for my periods of unbelief. This revelation is powerful and this chapter is very encouraging. I like the author's comment on the words "be still". Take our hands off! I wish that I can believe this promise. I want to let go and let God, but right now, my faith is so weak. You've sustained me so far, but I just don't think You can bring real hope and real healing into my situation. Father, please help my unbelief. Please let me see that You are God, my refuge, and my strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment