Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Victory over Fear




Fear is a natural part of life. Fear, sometimes is good. Fear indicates some kind of danger. If we were being chased by a three hundred pound bear and did not fear, that would indicate another problem. There are promises in the Bible that talk about fear.
"A lady once approached D. L. Moody and told him she had found a wonderful promise in the Bible that helped her overcome fear. Her verse was Psalm 56:3: "What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee." Mr. Moody replied, "Why I have a better promise than that!" And he quoted Isaiah 12:2: "Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid." Mr. Moody did have a greater promise. (p. 94).
God is my salvation. I will trust. What words of confidence in God. God will save me, whatever the circumstance I am in. Right now, I am dealing with a joint situation that makes it very difficult to walk. Only three months ago I could still walk without difficulty. I have felt tremendous depression and anxiety in this time about my condition. I suppose that it is hard to trust and it is hard to see that God is my salvation. I cannot see God in my situation.
"Jesus Christ never meant for us to be the slaves of fear. It is exciting to read the Bible and discover how many times God says "Fear not" to people. When the angels appeared to the shepherds to announce the birth of Christ at Bethlehem, their first words were, "Fear not." When Peter fell at Jesus' feet and asked Jesus to depart from him because Peter felt he was a sinful man, Jesus said, "Fear not, Peter." When Jairus received the bact news that his daughter had just died, Jesus said to Jairus, "Fear not, only believe .... "Jesus Christ wants us to conquer fear; and He is able to help us win the battle." (p. 95).
Jairus had reason to fear. He had just received news of his daughter's death. Little did he know the man who has power over death was right next to him. If I were the shepherds and all of a sudden a group of angels suddenly appears, I would be afraid too. All throughout the Bible God tells us to not fear. What an amazing comfort and encouragement from the God who knows our hearts. The author proposes the remedy to fear.
"The secret of victory over fear is faith in God. There is no problem too great for God to solve, no burden too heavy for God to carry, no battle too overwhelming for God to fight and win. God is big enough to conquer the enemies that rob us of our peace and leave paralyzing fears behind. Isaiah 12:2 doesn't say, "When I am afraid, I will trust"; it says, "I will trust, and not be afraid." Faith is not simply medicine to kill the disease; faith is spiritual power to keep us from being infected in the first place.
Notice what the prophet puts first: "Behold, God is my salvation." If you want to overcome fear, get your eyes off yourself and your feelings, and off the problems that have upset you, and get your eyes on God. The Jewish spies in the Old Testament became frightened when they investigated the Promised Land, because they saw giants and high wails and felt like grasshoppers in comparison. The enemy soldiers were big, and the walls were high, but God was far above all of them. Had the spies lifted their eyes just a bit higher and seen God, they would not have been afraid. So the first step in overcoming fear is to look by faith at God. Worship God, get a fresh glimpse of His greatness and glory,, and realize that He is still on the throne. The second step is to lay hold of God's Word. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. When you read the Bible, you find your faith growing. You discover that God has always been adequate for the needs of His people." (p. 97)
The author mentions two very great barriers, our feelings and ourselves. That is what hinders faith in God. I don't feel confident. I feel fear in my circumstance. My eyes are not on God. They are on the current problem which seems larger than life and larger than God. The second part is also key, to turn to the Word of God. Just last night I was reading the Psalms and found so many instances of difficult situations when fear turned to faith. The author placed their trust in God and knew that God is our salvation.
Prayer:
Father, sometimes it is much easier to fear than to have faith. It is in these times when our problems seem bigger than You. Also, I tend to have my focus on the problem and that makes the anxiety worse. I fear the future, my joblessness, my singleness, and so many things I feel like I have no control over. Situations really seem bleak in this current season for me. Father, help me to trust in Your sovereign goodness and constant love. Grant me a glimpse into the spiritual realities of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment