Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Never Forsaken

This chapter title is so relevant as I write this reflection. It is almost 3:00 in the afternoon and small group is in four hours. It seems likely that the pain and discomfort will not lessen in time. I am not sure how many weeks I have missed. It is at least three. Only two hours ago I thought I could make it as my joints felt fine. Now, as I sit here, the pain and discomfort has returned and the pain killers that were prescribed don't even reduce the pain at all. Being stuck at home, limited mobility, isolated, alone has felt quite depressing at times. Forsaken by God, I don't know. I do feel forgotten.

Wiersbe (1987) begins by saying he likes to meditate on God's promises. One personal favorite is given:

Psalm 37:25 says, "I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread."

David looks back at his life and sees how God has taken care of him. Now, David is a man who speaks with authority on hardships. He was a man on the run as King Saul was seeking to murder him, he faced a rebellion from his own son and countless sibling disputes. We cannot forget all the wars he was fighting in. Wiersbe goes into each stage of life from childhood to adolescence to adulthood and the challenges we all face in each stage of life. Then, he goes on to say that God is with us in each stage:

"What I am saying is that life keeps moving along--we grow older--and each stage in life has its blessings and its burdens, its opportunities and its obligations. What David is saying is wonderful--God is with us all the way. When David was young, God was with him and helped him kill the giant. When David became old, God was still there and helped him stabilize the kingdom and prepare for the building of the temple. "I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread." This is a heartening promise for the Christian believer. No matter how you may change or how life may change, God never changes, and His promises never fail." (p. 26)

I especially cling on to the last two ideas. His promises do not fail. God never changes. I think back upon my short life and see evidence of God's protection,, care, and guidance. Recently, these days, I have been thinking about a major car accident my dad got into going home from Berkeley in December of 2006. Right before we were about to pass Davis on our way home a drunk driver had hit our car, killing the driver, totaling our car. I often wonder why the driver of the other car died, while I live. Our car was undrivable and I should be dead, if not paralyzed. God protected me then, and if that is who He was then, that is still who He is today. Sometimes these moments of pain and discomfort cloud our spiritual vision.

David was a man after God's own heart. He walked closely with God but there were times when he did some things that were extremely wrong. What about those times. Did God forsake David?

"But what about those hours of disobedience? Yes, there were times in David's life when he disobeyed God and sinned. Did God approve of that sin? Of course not! Did God deal with David's sin? Yes, He did. David was chastened for his disobedience. But did God forsake His child because he had sinned? No! There were times when David was not acceptable, but he was still accepted. David's salvation depended on the grace of God, not his own good works; and God was faithful to keep His promise. God had to rebuke and discipline David, but God never forsook him.
The fact that God does chasten us when we refuse to confess our sins is proof that He is with us and not against us. As parents, we often have to spank our children, and we do it because we love them. When a child disobeys, he doesn't cease being a member of the family! His fellowship with the family may be broken, but his sonship goes right on. We don't forsake our children when they disobey, and God the heavenly Father doesn't forsake us when we sin. He lovingly warns us, convicts us, rebukes us, and, if necessary chastens us; and all of this is proof that He has not forsaken us." (p. 28-29).

I love what Wiersbe says about the times when we walk outside of the will of God. In those moments, we may be unacceptable, but still accepted. Our relationship with God is based on grace, not works. Fellowship may be broken, but sonship goes on. We are not disowned by God. Sometimes in strict cultures when we do something to disgrace the family, we may be disowned by the family. God does not operate like that and His rebuke and discipline is evidence of His love. If we were not His children He would leave us alone. David faced the consequences of his sin but his relationship with God was mended.

The other part of the Psalm talks about the fact that God cares about our needs.

"Is God concerned about the everyday needs of your life? Of course He is! Jesus told us that God watches the sparrows when they fall, and surely God sees us and knows our needs. As Jesus ministered here on earth during those three marvelous years, He met the physical, emotional, and material needs of people. He was concerned about the children; He had time for the lepers and the handicapped; He fed hungry people. Of course, His greatest deed was His death on the cross for the sins of the world, for man's greatest need is salvation. Jesus Christ was not deaf to the pleas of the blind; He heard the cries of the sorrowing; and He met the needs of the people." (p. 29).

Prayer:
Dearest Jesus, I am reminded in the gospels of your care for humanity. Tonight, at small group we reflect upon your healing of the official's daughter and the woman who had internal bleeding for twelve years. She spent all she had on healing yet found no cure. I find so many parallels to her story and mine. Medicine, tests, and such are absurdly expensive but provide no lasting hope. The woman just touched your garment and was instantly healed for You give life to dying people. Likewise, I take pain medication with no hope of pain relief. I have tests done with no diagnosis yet given of my situation. I estimate thousands of dollars are needed for my medical therapy and over a lifetime, I don't even know. This is money I don't have. So far, it has been about nine weeks since graduation. Day after day, week after week I send in job applications with no hope of seeing employment. Hope for employment is like a dim light growing dimmer. Jesus, Your word says that You never leave us nor forsake us and You care for our every need. I pray this afternoon to know Your healing touch and words of hope. May this promise change and transform me.

No comments:

Post a Comment