Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Honey Out of the Rock

It was about two or three weeks ago when my dad had a fascination with a digital device for finding trigger points. It is not only a trigger point finder but it shoots electricity into your trigger points. Any with some level of education would wonder about the validity of such a device, but you know when you feel hopeless, anything is better than nothing. So, for father's day I got the device for my father. Last night he used it on my joints. It appeared to do nothing during, and after as I went upstairs to my bedroom. Both my knees remained mildly stiff. However, when I lay in bed, my left knee became very swollen, hot, and at that moment, I became more sure than ever that this is very likely arthritis. The swollen and hot texture had not been present these two months but last night it was. The diagnosis of arthritis is like a death sentence, with no known cure, only pain medication for life. For someone who is thirty one, this is horrifying. I suddenly became extremely discouraged that I will ever get well. It is with this in mind that I open this chapter.

"One of God's promises to His children recorded in Psalm 81:16 is that He will satisfy us with "honey out of the rock." Of course, you and I know that honey is perhaps the sweetest thing that nature can produce; and a rock is one of the hardest things in nature. So, here we have sweetness coming out of hardness--"honey out of the rock." This is one of God's promises, and you should claim it for yourself." (p. 60)

Something sweet that can come out of something very hard. It is so difficult to believe. I cannot imagine anything sweet that can come out of my present difficulty. It is hard to maintain perspective when our present circumstances appear so gloomy. I have learned especially today to be thankful for the little things. Often in Christian circles we hear sermon illustrations of how someone sent an anonymous contribution to help in a particular project. I experienced this provision this morning. A neighbor gave us a huge bag of cucumbers. She doesn't know that I have my particular health condition. God knows. Cucumbers, as it turns out are a recommended food to aid in decreasing inflammation, which I have. It is like God knows exactly what I'm going through right now and had a neighbor remind me of His goodness and omniscience. Wiersbe goes from the more general principle into describing Biblical examples.

"I think of young Joseph who seemed to have nothing but rocks for thirteen years. First he was hated by his own brothers. Then he was sold into Egypt as a slave. Then, because he would not stoop to commit sin, he was thrown into prison and apparently forgotten. It was just one rocky experience after another, and seemingly for no purpose! But when it was over--when God had fulfilled His purposes--Joseph discovered honey out of the rock. These hard experiences prepared him to become God's servant and the second ruler over Egypt." (p. 61)

The list of injustices are long and extremely wrong. Being sold into slavery by his own brothers, falsely accused of rape, betrayed while in prison, and his whole young adult years taken from him. It took a while before he knew exactly what all the difficulty was for. Each step brought him closer. He would have never ended up in Egypt had his brothers not sold him into slavery. He certainly would not be in prison if Podifer's wife did not falsely accuse him of attempted rape. And it was in prison of all places where the final hardship was. Wiersbe speaks about a trend he notices in the Psalms:

"I've noticed that many of the psalms have three divisions: tears, trust, and triumph. The psalm begins with tears and trouble, and the psalmist cries out to God. Then he gets his eyes off himself and his difficulties and looks to God in faith. When he does, a wonderful thing happens: his trials are replaced by triumph, and his sighing becomes singing. He has discovered honey out the rock.
This is what James is trying to teach us in the first verses of his letter, when he writes: "My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience .... " (James 1:2-3). Trials are not working against us; they are working for us! James is saying, "Don't run around the rocks, or stand there and expect God to remove them. Instead, look for the honey that is sure to come from the rocks!" (p. 62).

Trials are an ever present part of our lives. These moments as the Psalmist reflects on prodeuces tears. We hear the lament and cries of people going through some serious challenges. After a while, it turns to trust, and then to triumph. There is a progression for the Psalmist and this progression must be part of the believer. We cannot leave it be at tears.

"God says, taste and see that the Lord is good!" Once you know, Christ as your Savior and Lord, then you can face the hard places of life with confidence and courage, because God will give you "honey out of the rock." (p. 64)

Prayer:
Father, the list of men and women in history who have had hard experiences is long. We are shown examples like Joseph and Jesus of men who ran into hardship but ultimately something profoundly sweet came out of it. Suffering for the Christian is not in vain. Yet, it is so hard to find the honey in our hardship. Last night in particular was very discouraging. Father, I do thank You for the reminder this morning of Your goodness and omniscience. You know my situation and You provide. Help me I pray to see Your honey in my rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment