Saturday, June 23, 2012

Defeating Depression

These two words are words that are like a dream. For some, it is like winning the lottery. Now, I believe that most people have gone through periods in their lives where they felt depressed for a period of time. After a difficult loss or facing a major hardship, these are events that are difficult for anyone. There are some who face depression on a daily basis. Characteristic of depression is self-defeating negative thoughts. I had these off and on while in New York. This also, like the chapter yesterday is very timely. These self-defeating negative thoughts are becoming more and more persistent during these past two weeks as my condition appears to be getting worse. So I approach this chapter with a sense of expectancy and relevance.  

Wiersbe opens this chapter with the words of the Psalmist:

"In Psalms 42 and 43, three times we find the psalmist asking, "Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me?" His world had fallen apart, and he was wondering where God was. He was wondering if he would ever get out of the dark pit of depression." (p. 40.

When one is in the dark pit of depression, one wonders how long it will last and how we can ever see the light of day. God appears to have taken a vacation. Perspective has been lost and self-defeating thoughts become persistent and blinding to the individual facing depression. Wiersbe goes on to innumerate the cost of depression. It costs employers in productivity and it costs human lives as people commit suicide seeing no hope for living. Wiersbe then discusses the spiritual cause of depression.

"Sometimes depression is the result of the attack Satan. He is the accuser and the destroyer. He knows when to attack us and what weapons to use. He likes to remind us of our failures and our past sins. He tries to get us to look at ourselves so much that we forget to look to Christ; and the result is almost always a feeling of guilt and failure and despair." (p. 41)

Recently, I have been thinking a lot about spiritual warfare. In particular the work of satan. He is an accuser. He is a tempter. He is a liar and deceiver. He in particular likes to provoke in us the doubt that God is good. He is so good at what he does for thousands of years that many have lost the battle.

Wiersbe then provides some pastoral insight into depression and the stages of depression.

"This brings us to the second step: self-protection leads to self- pity. We feel sorry for ourselves, so we pull into ourselves and retreat from life. We get all wrapped up in our own problems and pains and forget that other people have problems and pains, too.
This leads to the third step, which is self-punishment. You protect yourself by withdrawing; then you pity yourself because you feel so isolated; and then you start punishing yourself for whatever you think you have done. You become judge and jury and condemn yourself to a life of self-inflicted pain to atone for whatever wrongs you imagine you have done. It is here that Satan enters the picture, because he is the accuser of the brethren. He likes to remind you of your sins, your mistakes, your failures, even your embarrassing moments. Each of these reminders only makes the wounds in your heart hurt that much more, and then you withdraw even deeper and isolate yourself from reality.
No wonder some people to take the next step-- self-destruction. Satan is the destroyer" (p. 42)

Four stages. Self-protection, self-pity, self-punishment, and self-destruction. If we can notice any commonality between all four steps it is the self progressive nature that leads into self-destruction. Protection, pity, punishment and then destruction. It is important to stop the depression early because when someone is at the self-destruction stage, it is very difficult to treat. I do not agree with the order or even the steps that Wiersbe lists here. Self-destruction is definitely the last stage. I see self-punishment more as the starting point which then leads to self-pity and self-protection. Isolation often happens much later. While I was trying to fall asleep last night thoughts of regret came over me. I wonder what would happen if I didn't go to Berkeley and nothing good came out of it. A lot of bad came out of it. I think over and over again that if I had gone to Cal State, it would have been so much better. I would be in a different place today and so would my family, perhaps a better place. Right now, as I struggle to walk and coupled with my visual impairment, I find myself being a burden on my family. Nothing good comes from thinking about this and it leads in only believing that I'll never get better. If I'll never get better, then I'll only be a burden to my family and society, the final conclusion, it isn't worth living.
 
What does Wiersbe propose:

"Self-pity is one of the most dangerous attitudes you and I can ever cultivate. It poisons our system so that nothing looks right; everything people say and do gets out of proportion. Ask the Lord to give you the strength to fight self-pity! In Psalms 42 and 43 the psalmist writes:

"My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God ....
Hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance ....
Yet the Lord will command his lovingkindness in the daytime,
and in the night his song shall be with me       
O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me"

In spite of his disappointment, the psalmist looks to God and sees what God can do for him. For you and me, this means looking into the promises of the Word. "O send out thy light and thy truth." (p. 43)

Prayer:
Father, sometimes the solutions pastors offer seem overly simplistic. When our world is so cloudy, everything seems impossible. The Psalmist says to hope in God. Remember Your works. Turn our worry into worship. Remind us of Your promises and goodness. Self-pity, self-punishment, and self-destruction surely are not good things. When we are going through tough times all we can see are the challenges. I want so much to be a contributing member of my family, small group, church, and community and yet right now feel so useless and disabled. This downward line of thinking leads to a sense of persistent helplessness and hopelessness, and the feeling that I am better off departing from this world. Heavenly Father, I cannot heal myself, not of my depression, not of my physical condition and so I look to You for healing, hope, and wholeness.


No comments:

Post a Comment