Thursday, October 11, 2012


October 3, 2012

INTERCESSOR  AND  STILLNESS
Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. -Psalm 46:10


It turns out that I could not make it today to fellowship. I had posted a prayer request first when I woke up that I hoped to be well enough so that I can make it to Bible study, but time passed and I could not make it. I missed my first Bible study. The older women were wondering where I was. They made my favorite dishes. I had asked my dad to change it from the house to the church that way I come come in by wheelchair but my dad did not want to make a mess at the church and he wants to give Amy the opportunity to open her home and serve. The distance from street to the kitchen where the home fellowship is at is over thirty feet to which a normal person can do without any problem. I can only walk about 15 feet before I need a break. Plus, cement and hard wood are very tough to walk on for some reason. This is now the third day without sunshine or fresh air. I have been very discouraged today. This season is all about waiting on God and being very disappointed in the process.



"There is great power in stillness. "In quietness and confidence shall be your strength." To receive grear blessing from the Holy Spirit, there must be great prepararion. For me the Atlantic voyage was a time of sleep and seasickness and seeing God in a brand-new way. It was a quiet time — a time of prayer and Bible memorization, a time of dependence, a time of adventure, a time of togetherness, a time of waiting, a time of endurance, and a time of stepping into the unknown. The ocean is truly a beautiful place, and God speaks in a special way out at sea when all other thoughts are lost in His majesty and might. "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it; for he founded it upon the seas and established it upon the waters" (Psalm 24:1-2).
You don't have to live on a ship to learn the lessons of stillness. It's impottant for all of us to ask, How can I learn to wait on God and hear His voice? How do I learn to be still and quiet even though my world is so busy? Let's explore how to wait upon God, soak in His presence, and find ways to cultivate a listening ear to hear God's voice."

This idea of soaking in God's presence is one she develops much later on, but it is so hard to really find God. I mean, I have had a lot of quiet time. 3:00 A.M. quiet time, and sleeping downstairs and many times not being able to sleep has given me a lot of time to be silent and still as well as share my worries and frustrations with God. In all, I continue to struggle to see God in the midst of my difficulties. In silence, I do not hear His still small voice.


"In waiting, the very highest direction for your life can come forth daily. What may look like a loss of time is really only time multiplied on your behalf. God is able to do things with more efficiency than you are. The unnecessary falls away, and the very purposes and wisdom of God come forth in purity, holiness, and power. It isn't easy to integrate the discipline of waiting into your lifestyle, but when you embrace this, it will bring tremendous rewards. It should become a way of life to those who want to be used greatly by God. What are you waiting for today in prayer? Don't give up. It is in waiting that we make room for God.
Elisabeth Elliot, in her book Keep a Quiet Heart, says,

Waiting requires patience — a willingness calmly to accept what we have or have not, where we are or where we wish we were, whomever we live or work with. To want what we don't have is impatience and mistrusr of God. Is He not in complete control of all citcumstances, events, and conditions? If some are beyond His control, He is not God. A spirit of resistance cannot wait on God. ... It is here and now that we must win our victories or suffer defeats. Spiritual victories are won in the quiet acceptance of ordinary events, which ate God's "bright servants" standing all around it. Restlessness and impatience change nothing except our peace and joy. Peace does not dwell in outward things, but in the heart prepared to wait trustfully and quietly on Him who has all things safely in His hands. Can I not then wait patiently? He will show me the way.'

This quote is powerful. It is powerful because it speaks right to my heart. I am restless and impatient. I live in a microwave culture and I want things to happen now like a job, a wife, life calling, but all these things don't happen over night. I love the part if events are beyond God's control then He is not God and so satan has really attacked me in this regard tempting me to believe that God's silence means that He is not in control or that God does not care. This is one of my biggest struggles right now to remain strong in the Lord and know He is God because at times I feel unsure if He exists. All things are safely in His hands though right now it is really hard to believe He is in control and that He cares. 



"In John 11, the gospel writer recounts for us how Jesus delayed in responding to Mary and Martha when they sent word that Lazarus was sick. In fact, He stayed away a few more days, and Lazarus died. Time had run out. But Jesus' purpose in delay was to glorify the Father.
Have you been waiting for God to answer some of your prayers, and rhe answer has not come? The situation may look hopeless from every human standpoint, but God can resurrect any dream. He can break through even when we feel it is far too late. We fail to realize that God is using the time delay for our benefit—for maturing, for purifying the heart, for refining our character. He who sees the outcome wants to do a great work through us. The same resurrection power that brought Lazarus back from the dead is at work in our lives. The Lord wants you to look to only Him for your answer. Fix your eyes upon Him and wait, knowing He is faithful. God will come through for you in His timing. "Jesus said, 'Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?'" (John 11:40)."

This has been one of the best chapters yet. I too feel like the delay means that God does not care, but Jesus was right on time and even at the scene later on with Mary and Martha, Jesus showed emotion and wept. He cares even when we cannot see it. God is able to do the impossible when everything seems so hopeless. I read about it in John 11, but right now, it is so hard to believe God can do this in my life.

"The blessing I am describing is called soaking in God's presence. The word soak means to drench, to wet thoroughly, to enter into the pores, and to be steeped in a fluid. Soaking in God's presence is drenching ourselves with God, being with Him, letting Him enter our entire life, and saturating outselves with His presence through stillness, test, and wotship. A wonderful transformation occuts as we do this.


Those who practice soaking prayer find joy in their lives. It's a time to lay your burdens at the feet of Jesus. It's a time to find rest for your soul — to be still and know that He is God. It may take a little effort to quiet your racing thoughts, but it's well worth the effort. Let Him lead you beside still waters. Jesus says in Matthew 11:28-30,
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

"We all need to learn how to quiet our busy thoughts. God can help us turn our attention upon Him. Initially your thoughts can be racing all over, but know that the Lord is with you. Similar to the traditional practice of contemplative prayer, in soaking prayer you wait for your thoughts to settle. You come with nothing to do except sit or lie in God's presence. You are learning to focus on Jesus. When your mind wanders, you learn to bring it back. As you renew your mind and spirit, you will experience a greater peace. You will see things more clearly from God's perspective."



"Soaking is a dedication: "God, this is time just for you." Soaking is an invitation: "God, do what you want to in me." Soaking is an expectation: "Thank you. Father, for what you are accomplishing as I rest in you." We come to Him like little children believing that He has good things for us. "If you then know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask Him." - Catch the Fire Ministries,   www.ctfministries.com"




TO SOAK IN GOD'S PRESENCE. Find a place without any disti s, put on some quiet music, get a journal or pen and paj
get into a comfortable position. You may even want to lie floor. A peaceful environment helps you become peaceful inside.
           Listen to worship music. You may want to use quiet instrumental or vocal worship music. So much good soaking music is readily available (  www.soaking.net is ai excellent resource).
           Invite the Holy Spirit to come and soak you in His presence. Surrender your mind, body, and soul in prayer to the Holy Spirit. Humble yourself before Him. You an learning to wait upon Him.
           Focus on the Lord's presence. Open your heart to God. You are learning to abide in Him. You are learning to focus on Him and His presence. Wait for your thoughts settle.
           Rest in faith and believe that God is working within you. It isn't about what you can accomplish through you efforts; it's about what God is doing in you. Write down any thoughts He may give you. Listen carefully to His voice."

Prayer:
Father this has been a powerful chapter about waiting and being in Your presence. Delay and unanswered prayer really hurts our faith and trust in You. I feel so discouraged and hopeless at times in this season. I want to see breakthrough in my job search, in my singleness, in my ministry, and in my health. All these situations seem so hopeless. I want to learn to soak in Your presence. I cannot hear Your still small voice and can’t see that You are here with me. I want to be fully aware of Your presence and to be drenched in Your goodness.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment