Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Trusting in God’s care

(Dillow, 2007) compiled a list of quotes about worry. I really like the first one:

"Worry is like a rocking chair; it will give you something to do but it won't get you anywhere" (Dillow, 2007 p. 123).

That is so true. Worry is one of the most unproductive things to do. In fact worry is quite counter productive. Worry gets us nowhere. In fact, it can often get us further along. My current worry: first week into summer school and I am still without a field placement. I worry a lot about this because if I can't locate one, I cannot progress in the program. It is a real concern, but worry does not help.

What Dillow says next is powerful:

"When we worry, we're saying, "God can't." If we are walking in anxiety, we're not walking in faith. We want to be women of faith, yet often worry becomes our middle name. We know the agony of its clutches. We're familiar with the small trickle of fear that meanders through our minds until it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained. We must conquer this "God can't" disease" (Dillow, 2007 p. 123).

It is so true. Worry means I don't think God is going to come through. Faith is the opposite of worry. If I totally think God is going to come through, there is no reason to worry. For me, and in this particular situation it is a matter of patience and waiting. I know God has come through for me before, but He is taking an especially long time this time.

Dillow points to the familiar text from Jesus on worry:

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear'' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (emphasis mine) (MT. 6:25-34)

We are told several times to not worry. I think the excessive repetition means that Jesus really wants us to listen.

"Instead of being anxious, we are to fix our focus on God and His righteousness. Verse 34 gives a key to worry-free living. The Living Bible makes it crystal clear: "So don’t be anxious about tomorrow. God will take care of your tomorrow too. Live one day at a time." Certainly, we are to pray, plan, and prepare for tomorrow, but we are not to worry about what might happen. The load of tomorrow added to that of yesterday, carried today, makes even the strongest woman stumble. We are to entrust all our tomorrows to Him and live just today. Walking with God through today's twenty-four hours is difficult enough "(Dillow, 2007 p. 131).

The question goes back to a running theme throughout this book, where is my focus. Am I fixing my gaze on God or on the situation I am concerned about. Often, the situation seems so much bigger than God.

Dillow then points us to 1 Peter 5:6-7:

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

I think we focus a lot on the second part. Many of us who have grown up in Christian circles have memorized v. 7. Dillow provides a comment on the previous verse.

"What does it mean to humble ourselves before the mighty hand of God? Humility means to have total trust in God alone. It is the surrender of our total being— intellect, emotion, will, plans, and judgments. It is relinquishing everything. For me, humbling myself involves yielding to God as the Blessed Controller of whatever situation or person is causing me anxiety: (Dillow, 2007 p. 132).

A surrender of my total being to God in this situation. That really places things into perspective. God knows what is best in this situation, His timing, His method, His provision. Total surrender means trusting that God knows what He is doing. We can apply this in every area of our lives. For us singe adults, it is trusting that God will provide in His timing even though the odds seem to be stacked up as years go by.

Dillow tells about a wonderful idea that we can use as a spiritual practice. She calls it her anxiety box. These are anxieties she prays through:

"Every time I see the box, stuffed with my worries, I'm reminded that God is carrying them, not me. Once or twice a year I open my box and read through the worries. I thank God for the ones He has taken care of. The others I put back in the heart-shaped box and entrust them to His timing" (Dillow, 2007 p. 134).

I love the idea. It reminds us of the things God has taken care of and it teaches us to trust us with the items that are still in the box. This is a really good reminder that God cares for us.

The song “Enough” is my prayer and song of praise this week.


Enough

You are my supply
My breath of life
Still more awesome than I know.
You are my reward
Worth living for
Still more awesome than I know.

And all of you
Is more than enough for all of me
For every thirst and every need
You satisfy me with your love
And all I have in you is more than enough

You're my sacrifice
Of greatest price
Still more awesome than I know.
You're my coming King
You're my everything
Still more awesome than I know.

And all of you
Is more than enough for
All of me
For every thirst and every need
You satisfy me with your love
And all I have in you is more than enough
You are more than enough.

More than all I want
More than all I need
You are more than enough for me.
More than all I know
More than all I can see
You are more than enough for me.
More than all I want
More than all I need
You are more than enough for me.
More than all I know
More than all I can see
You are more than enough.

All of you
Is more than enough for
All of me
For every thirst and every need
You satisfy me with your love
And all I have in you. (Oh Yeah)
And all I have in you. (Jesus)
And all I have in you is more than enough.
More than enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment